Care Dogs

What to do if your dog accidentally ingests poison

Escrito por Mundocachorro

While this is a situation that no pet owner should have to deal with, it is best to be forewarned about what to do if your dog accidentally ingests poison. In these cases, the speed with which you act may be the key to caring for your pet. In any case, take note to be prepared in case your dog ingests a poisonous substance.

Steps to follow if your dog has ingested poison

  • Keeping calm. It is important that you remain calm and collected and avoid panicking. This will help you make quick and effective decisions in the face of different eventualities.
  • Identify the poison. The sooner you can identify the poison your pet has ingested the better so that you can inform the veterinarian and seek the antidote. You can also look around to find out what he may have ingested. Empty packaging or other evidence may help you find out.
  • Call the veterinarian. As soon as possible you should call your veterinarian or veterinary emergency clinic. There you will have to inform them of the whole situation. The more accurate the data, the easier it will be to help your dog.
  • Follow instructions. Most likely, the veterinarian will guide you on the steps to follow. Sometimes it may be to induce vomiting or other actions that you will have to follow to the letter. It should be noted that vomiting should only be induced if prescribed by the veterinarian. This is because there are poisons that can cause harm by inducing vomiting.
  • Safe transportation. If necessary, you will need to take your dog to the emergency veterinary clinic. If so, transport your pet properly and drive carefully. This way you will avoid major problems, while minimizing your dog’s stress.

Symptoms of a poisoned dog

A dog that is suffering from poisoning may have different symptoms that can sometimes be difficult to detect. But there are some signs that could be symptoms that your dog has ingested poison. For example:

  • Decrease in energy
  • Apathy and lack of interest in daily activities
  • Vomiting, diarrhea
  • Lethargy
  • Lack of appetite
  • Seizures
  • Difficulty breathing

Diarrhea in a dog may be a symptom of having ingested a variety of toxins ranging from rat poison to insecticides. Therefore, in case of severe and persistent diarrhea, you should consult a veterinarian.

Vomiting may also indicate poisoning, especially if accompanied by diarrhea and lack of appetite. It is possible that your dog has ingested a toxic substance and you will have to take him to the veterinarian as soon as possible for a check-up. This way you can make sure you give him the proper care and help him regain his health.

Finally, behavioral changes, such as lethargy, apathy, drowsiness and others, may also be warning signs. If they occur, consult a veterinarian promptly.

Image courtesy of, all rights reserved.