Care Dogs Feeding

What is cross feeding and why is it beneficial for your dog?

Escrito por Mundocachorro

A dedicated pet sitter is concerned with all aspects of your pet’s life. Precisely among these issues is feeding and one of the pet food trends that is gaining relevance is cross feeding.

The term refers to a type of feeding that combines dry food with wet food. Cross feeding can also be called mix feeding or simply mixed feeding. It is a form of feeding that has many advantages for dogs and even for other domestic animals such as cats.

Both dry food feeding and wet food feeding each have their own advantages. But each of them also has some disadvantages. In fact, by combining both forms of nutrition, the benefits of each are enhanced.

What are the stages of a dog’s life and what should it eat at each stage?

In any case, it is a trend that allows you to better meet both the nutritional needs and preferences of your pet. In this way, the pet will be able to take advantage of the main benefits of each of them in a complementary way.

Advantages of cross feeding

  • Balance. Mixed feeding usually gives a good and balanced result between nutrition and hydration. For example, dry feeds have a high nutritional value, but the moisture content is usually around 10%. Wet food, on the other hand, generally has less nutritional value, but moisture levels can exceed 60%. When both feeding methods are combined, a more balanced feeding quality is obtained.
  • Appetite. By combining the textures of both types of food, you can stimulate your dog’s appetite and palate. That is, the feed is crunchy and hard, while the wet food is creamy, which will be more appealing to your pet.
  • Flavor. In general, combining both foods usually results in a tastier result for your puppy. It is quite possible that he will eat his rations with much more enthusiasm and appetite.
  • Transition. In puppies, this type of feeding can be perfect for easing the transition from breast milk feeding to food feeding.
  • Health. Cross feeding can promote your dog’s dental health by strengthening teeth and reducing tartar. Hydration is also increased, increasing urine production. It also helps control obesity and can be perfect for surgery recovery.

Recommended ratio

Ideally, you should consult your veterinarian regarding any decision to change your dog’s food. However, it is recommended that about 80% of your dog’s food should be dry feed. This represents approximately two thirds of the daily ration. The remaining third or 20% of the feed should be wet food.

Of course, all these premises must be adapted to each pet, taking into account factors such as breed, age, lifestyle and possible pathologies.

Image courtesy of, all rights reserved.