If you have a garden at home, installing a koi pond for koi fish can be an excellent idea. It is even possible to install a pond for these fish inside the house. Of course, in either case, you must have the proper planning to ensure that everything goes smoothly.
The first thing to do is to plan the size and depth of the pond. Then the hole will have to be drilled and covered with the appropriate liner. It will also be necessary to have some systems that will allow you to have healthy and happy fish.
Steps to build a koi pond
- Planning. The proper location for this type of pond should receive sufficient sunlight but not direct light. Landscaping and aesthetic aspects must be considered, such as integrating the pond with the surroundings. You may also consider adding aquatic plants to beautify the place.
- Size and depth. The minimum space for a koi pond is about 3.7 meters long by 3 meters wide. The approximate depth should be between 90 centimeters and one meter. A pond of this size will hold about ten adult fish. This way they can swim without getting in each other’s way.
- Excavation. You can proceed to mark the area of the future pond with stakes and ropes. This will give you an idea of the shape and size it will have. You can excavate according to the chosen dimensions. In addition, a gradual slope should be made from the edges to the center. This will prevent the water from stagnating.
- Coating. Once the bottom and sides of the pond are level and free of sharp objects such as stones and roots that could damage the liner, proceed to lining. The most commonly used options are PVC or synthetic rubber sheets. Avoid wrinkles and creases by spreading the coating well. Use temporary weights to hold it in place.
- Filtration system. Your koi pond will require a filtration system to keep the water clean and healthy. You can have a complete filtration system with pump and UV, a gravel filter or a biological filter. Follow the manufacturer’s instructions for proper installation.
- Filling. The water you use to fill the pond must be of adequate quality. If it has chlorine or other chemicals, you must treat it before filling the pond.
- Decoration. You can use rocks, floating logs, water stones and other decorative elements. This way your pond will be attractive and will also have refuge areas for fish.
Koi fish are also known as koi carp. They are a variety of domesticated carp native to Japan, prized for their beautiful colors and unique patterns. In order for them to develop healthily, the pond water must be of good quality. The ideal temperature is between 15 and 25 degrees Celsius.
They feed on special koi fish pellets, proteins and vegetables. Overfeeding should be avoided.
Ideally, you should have at least two or three koi fish, so that they can interact with each other. It is important to know that this is a social species.
Image courtesy of https://pixabay.com, all rights reserved.